Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a simple one.
- 1 kg chuck steak, cubed
- 4 lambs kidneys
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock (I use Campbell's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 pastry crust, to cover a deep 25cm pie dish (I buy frozen)
- Trim the beef to remove all the fat. Skin and remove the core from the kidneys and chop into small pieces.
- Brown the beef and kidneys in hot oil.
- Add the onions and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and add the stock gradually.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sauce and bay leaf.
- Transfer to a saucepan, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours until b eef is tender.
- Transfer to the pie dish.
- Top steak and kidney with the pastry.
- Cut a design deeply into the pastry to allow the steam to escape. Brush with egg yolk and milk glaze. Bake at 180 C for 35 minutes until the beef is hot and the pastry is golden brown.