Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Good looking surf and turf recipe from Family Circle. You will need at least 30 minutes for marinating.
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 78.07 ml fresh lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 4 strip steaks (each about 1/2 inch thick, 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 453.59 g halibut fillet, with skin
- To make chimichurri sauce mix oil, lime juice, garlic, onion, cilantro, oregano, salt, cayenne and black pepper (can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated, covered).
- In plastic food-storage bag, combine 1/3 cup chimichurri sauce and steaks; seal.
- Cut halibut fillet into 4 serving pieces. In a second plastic food-storage bag, combine 1/3 cup chimichurri sauce and halibut; seal.
- Reserve remaining 1/3 cup sauce.
- Marinate steak and halibut in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Prepare outdoor grill with hot coals arranged for direct grilling, or heat gas grill for direct grilling. Remove steak and halibut from marinade; discard marinade.
- Grill steak and halibut 10 minutes, covered, turning steak after 5 minutes for medium-rare, and halibut flakes when prodded with a fork. Serve steak and fish with reserved chimichurri sauce.
This was good. We had a blizzard today so had to make this on the stove. Wished I would have made it on the George Foreman though, I think the tenderloin would have been more tender. I marinated for about 7 hours. Made for Best of Cookbook 2011.
I rated this 5 starts for being a very tasty, very easy and very low risk way to prepare an expensive cut of fish. I've never made halibut filets before, and after searching though a number of recipes decided on this one. What a great choice. Even the thirteen year old who doesn't eat fish loved it! Changed nothing in the recipe.
As a side, we had one filet left, so I tried the Mexican Ceviche recipe with it, and that was a hit, as well! http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-ceviche-8899
This was really good. We had 2 small halibut fillets and 2 small saratoga ribeyes. We marinaded for a just over an hour and the flavor was absolutely delicious.