Recipe by MacChef
This is straight from the Guinness web site. One of my husband's favorites when in London.
- 1 kg round steak
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- 5 onions
- 300 ml Guinness stout
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 ounces lard
- 2 -3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 sheet puff pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steak into bite sized cubes, roll in seasoned flour, and brown in the lard with the bacon, chopped small. Place the meat in a casserole dish.
- Peel and chop the onions, and fry until golden before adding them to the meat. Add the raisins (if wanted) and brown sugar, pour in the Guinness, cover tightly and simmer over a low heat or in a very moderate oven (325-350 deg F) for 2-2 1/2; hours. Stir occasionally, and add a little more Guinness or water if the rich brown gravy gets too thick.
- Roll out pastry dough to fit casserole dish. Place pastry on top of meat mixture and bake according to package directions or until pastry has puffed and is golden.