Recipe by KPD
Yummy! My twist on a recipe from Cooking Light. Recipe for homemade Mayonnaise included.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups fennel, thinly sliced, about 1 bulb
- 16 ounces beef tenderloin steaks, about 1-inch thick
- 8 teaspoons homemade mayonnaise, recipe follows
- 4 croissants, split in half and lightly toasted
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine fennel seeds, salt, cumin and black pepper.
- Heat 2 t olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced fennel and 1/2 teaspoon of spice mixture. Saute 15 minutes or until fennel is tender and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet. Sprinkle remaining spice mixture on steaks. Add steaks to pan and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan and let steaks stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice steaks.
- To make sandwiches, spread each cut side of croissant with 1 teaspoon of mayo. Layer starting on the bottom piece of croissant- layer 1/4 beef, 1/4 fennel, 1/4 cup arugula, and top with remaining croissant half.
- To make homemade mayo: Combine lemon juice, mustard, salt and egg in a blender. Gradually add in oil. Process until smooth and completely blended. Makes 3/4 cup.