Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Steak and chips has a modern twist with the addition of a tangy Marsala, red wine and chilli sauce.
- 2 steaks, 3/4 inch thick (sirloin, rump, rib-eye or fillet)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons marsala or 7 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 7 tablespoons red wine
- 7 tablespoons beef stock, hot
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pinch dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley or 2 tablespoons chives, freshly chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the garlic until soft, but not coloured.
- Add the Marsala or sweet sherry and red wine, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the stock or water, tomato paste and chili flakes and seasoning, if required. Add the parsley or chives.
- Increase the heat and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add the steaks and cook according to your preference.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce, chips and a side salad.