Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A recipe from Zimbabwe, called Nyama ne Nyemba.
- 3 onions, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs steak, diced (shoulder steak or equivalent cut)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chili, crushed (hot pepper)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 lbs kidney beans, cooked
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- In a stew pot, brown onions in oil until golden brown.
- Add the meat and saute over medium heat for abut 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Lower heat and cook gently for another 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add garlic, hot pepper and curry powder and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Season to taste, stir in the cooked beans and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and drizzle lemon juice over top.
- Can be served with boiled rice.