Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This will make a great filling for breakfast burritos or just by itself with tortillas and salad for supper. Recipe source: Turtle Bay Cookbook
- 10 slices bacon
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 onions, sliced in rings
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 serrano chilies, sliced in rings
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in (1/8-inch thick)
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in (1/8-inch thick( rings, then cut in half)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp (8-10 minutes). Remove from pan and place on paper towels. Discard all bacon fat in skillet but do not wash skillet. Set aside.
- Slice steak across grain, cutting into strips 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Over high heat, reheat skillet (the same one you cooked the bacon in) and place 1/3 of the steak strips in pan, cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally or until cooked. Place in bowl. Repeat with remaining meat.
- Place onions in the same skillet and cook over high heat, tossing frequently, until brown (3-4 minutes). Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add garlic, chile, and bell peppers to onions in skillet, cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add meat back to skillet along with the water and salt. Cook, stirring until liquid has almost disappeared (3 minutes).
- Stir in cilantro. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Top with cheese and put in tortillas or serve with bread.
This was very good, I used sirloin steak and jalapeno peppers in place of the serrano chilies, we enjoyed these stuffed in tortillas, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)