Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are a very special addition to a fancy picnic or luncheon on the patio.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil (canola)
- 1 cup Italian dressing (Bernstein's Restaurant Style is best)
- 1 cup sour cream (not fat free or non-dairy type)
- 1 can artichoke hearts (water-packed) or 1 can artichoke bottom (water-packed)
- 4 large butter croissants
- Begin at least 4 hours in advance or, preferably, the night before. Trim fat from flank steak and cut into strips approximately 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long.
- In hot oil, brown the steak strips over medium high heat until they are cooked through and brown.
- Don't overcook or steak will be tough.
- Drain off any excess fat. Put steak strips in a 1-quart bowl and pour over the well-blended Italian dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least 3-1/2 hours or overnight. Open artichokes and drain off all liquid.
- Cut artichoke bottoms in fourths, articho ke hearts in half.
- If steak has not absorbed all of the Italian dressing, drain off any excess.
- Combine sour cream, artichokes, steak and mix thoroughly.
- This mixture will keep for some time if you want to refrigerate it until you are ready to assemble sandwiches.
- When ready to serve, carefully slice open the croissants and pile 1/4 of the steak/artichoke mixture inside each croissant. I have served these sandwiches with a light salad of mixed greens, mandarin orange segments and slivered red onion.
What a fabulous recipe! I once knew a very famous Irish baker who loved to make something similar. The marinade makes it absolutely mouth-watering, and the flank steak is tender. But the addition of sour cream at the end is genius! It pulls all the flavors together.