Originally titled Simon's PB Pie isn't heavy and has a subtle PB flavor. My 81 year old dad won 1st Place with this recipe in the Cream Pie division/State Fair of Texas, approx/1976. Sharing his sense of humor, I asked how he wanted to be recognized: He replied, "Master Chef Guillome Henri Gaston Siber. but I do respond to either "My Dad," or Bill Sybert." Recipe shared by Mae Murrell of Houston, Texas, many years ago.
- Prepare pie shell as directed.
- Cut peanut butter into powdered sugar until appearance of pie dough.
- Place half of mixture in cooled pie shell.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, salt and scalded milk, mixing well in a medium bowl.
- In smaller bowl, beat egg yolks well.
- Pour small amount of milk mixture over beaten egg yolks and mix together.
- Combine egg mixture into milk mixture and cook in double boiler until thick.
- Add butter and vanilla and mix.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Top with meringue made from the remaining 3 egg whites and 6 tablespoons sugar, adding sugar one Tbs at a time, beating between each addition until fluffy.
- Spread meringue over PB mixture and make a few peaks with spatula.
- Sprinkle remainder of peanut butter mixture over meringue.
- Bake at 325-degrees for 30 minutes, or until brown.
- Can be served warm or cold. I prefer warm.
This is fabulous!! So easy & what a blast of peanut butter flavour! As I don't like meringue, I just topped with Cool Whip & then sprinkled with the pb mixture. I've never heard of a peanut butter cream pie but so glad I found this recipe as it was a BIG hit at our Easter dinner!
We made this last night and it was amazing. After reading that it was a State Fair of Texas winner I had to give it a try. The peanut butter and sugar mixture puts this pie over the top. 5 stars all the way!
I made this yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. Is a little time consuming to make, but well worth the effort. Only change I would make is to decrease the sugar in the custard filling to 1/2 cup. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. This is the first time I have ever written a review, but thought it worthwhile for such a delcious pie. juba777