Recipe by yooper
Drizzling sweet pickle juice over the warm potatoes is the secret to this delicious potato salad. Tastes like a contrest entree at the State Fair! From Bon Appetit.
Top Review by PA Cindy
This was delicious. I will be making this again. I only made minor changes. I used Yukon Gold potatoes instead of the red, I didn't have a red onion so I used a Vidalia, and I added 5 eggs instead of three. I didn't make one change to the dressing. My DH even liked it and he usually only likes his potato salad one way.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, peeled,cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup juice, from jar of sweet pickles
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled,chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet gherkin
Directions See How It's Made
- cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- drain; transfer to large bowl.
- Drizzle pickle juice over potatoes and toss gently.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, sugar and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Add eggs, onion, celery, and pickles and toss gently to blend.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Can be made 8 hours ahead.