Recipe by LiisaN
A really good sugar cookie with a mint surprise! My Mom would make these for special occasions. I also remember feeling special when sharing these when she had her afternoon tea...they are really yummy! )Time est. does not include the dough chilling)
Top Review by clsmit
I make these with solid mint wafers -- my mom's recipe was very specific about not using them. Trader Joes calls them UFOs, Ghiradelli sells them, and they might be elsewehere as well. Mint Hershey kisses might also work (but would be lumpier). I use the smallest possible amount of dough around the mint to make as many cookies as possible.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 ounces chocolate-covered mint candies, wafer-discs, any mint chocolate candies (sometimes I use Andes mints)
- halved walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the flour,baking soda and salt.
- Cream the butter, sugars.
- Add the eggs, vanilla- beat well.
- Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Cover and chill at least two hours or overnight.
- Take a tablespoon size amount of dough and enclose/conceal mint in dough.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Place walnut half on top.
- Bake at 375° for 9-12 minutes.