Irish Rose's Note:
These cookies won $10,000 for Miss Laura Rott from Naperville, Illinois in a long ago Pillsbury Baking Contest. I can remember my mother making them for us and how good they were. I still have the original recipe that my mother used and since the paper is becoming a little brittle, I'm going to copy it here so I won't damage the original.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- 2Cream together the butter and Crisco.
- 3Add sugars and mix well. Add unbeaten eggs, water and vanilla and mix well.
- 4Blend in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- 5Chill dough.
- 6Open and unwrap the chocolate mint wafers (Eight O'Clock or Andres)
- 7Enclose each wafer in about 1 Tablespoon of dough and top each cookie with a walnut half.
- 8Place on ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- 9Bake in moderate oven (recipe says 375°)for 10-12 minutes. You might consider a moderate oven to be 350°.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Starlight Mint Surprise Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.8
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 55.5 mg
- Sodium 704.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g