This cake won the $25,000 first prize in the Pillsbury BAKE-OFF contest in 1951, for the most inventive chocolate cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar (1 1/2 lb.)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1Heat oven to 350F.
- 2Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup margarine, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth.
- 4Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth.
- 5Blend in chocolate.
- 6In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and 1/4 cup margarine; blend well.
- 7Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth.
- 9Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
- 10Bake at 350F.
- 11for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- 13Cool completely.
- 14To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate; spread with about 1/4 of frosting.
- 15Top with second layer, top side up.
- 16Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- 17Yield: 12 servings High Altitude: Above 35000 feet: Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups and use 1 1/2 cups of frosting mixture in cake.
- 18Bake as directed above.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Starlight Double-Delight Cake
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.5
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 70.6 mg
- Sodium 554.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 59.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g