Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake won the $25,000 first prize in the Pillsbury BAKE-OFF contest in 1951, for the most inventive chocolate cake!
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar (1 1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup margarine, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth.
- Blend in chocolate.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and 1/4 cup margarine; blend well.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 350F.
- for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate; spread with about 1/4 of frosting.
- Top with second layer, top side up.
- Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Yield: 12 servings High Altitude: Above 35000 feet: Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups and use 1 1/2 cups of frosting mixture in cake.
- Bake as directed above.
This is one of our family's favorite special occasion cakes. I am glad to see it is already on RecipeZaar...
this was quite a treat, for my familey,i quite enjoyed it,it was not hard to make at all, the taste was quite refreshing thanks