1 hr 12 mins
This is a cheater's short cut as it uses a cake mix. However what is special is the addition of pudding and a bunch of eggs. It is rich and tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 star fruit, ribs and ends trimmed then slice 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Bring sugar and water to a gentle boil in a wide (12 inch or more) saute pan. Add the star fruit in a single layer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, turning over halfway.
- 3Remove with a slotted spoon and drain in a large sieve or paper towels.
- 4Melt butter over a low heat in a 12 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof pan with a handle.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Stir in the brown sugar and spread it to evenly cover the bottom of the skillet.
- 7Arrange the star fruit in a single layer on the brown sugar/butter mix.
- 8Combine the cake mix, pudding mis, eggs, water and oil. Beat for 2 minutes.
- 9Pour batter gently over the star fruit and bake in the center of the oven for an hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 10Invert over a serving plate as soon as the cake comes out of th oven.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Starfruit (Carambola) Upside Down Cake With Cake Mix
Serving Size: 1 (1868 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4177.3
- Calories from Fat 1999
- Total Fat 222.1 g
- Saturated Fat 79.1 g
- Cholesterol 988.0 mg
- Sodium 2568.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 537.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 521.3 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: