Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a cheater's short cut as it uses a cake mix. However what is special is the addition of pudding and a bunch of eggs. It is rich and tasty.
- 5 star fruit, ribs and ends trimmed then slice 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 signature pineapple supreme cake mix (Yellow will do, if you use that add pineapple and use pineapple juice instead of water)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring sugar and water to a gentle boil in a wide (12 inch or more) saute pan. Add the star fruit in a single layer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, turning over halfway.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain in a large sieve or paper towels.
- Melt butter over a low heat in a 12 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof pan with a handle.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and spread it to evenly cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Arrange the star fruit in a single layer on the brown sugar/butter mix.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mis, eggs, water and oil. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter gently over the star fruit and bake in the center of the oven for an hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Invert over a serving plate as soon as the cake comes out of th oven.