1/1 Photo of Starfruit (Carambola) Upside Down Cake
1 hr 13 mins
Living in the tropics has taught me that even the good ole' faithful recipes get tweaked now and then! Like the traditional Pineapple Upside Down Cake, this one is yummy in a totally different way! Starfruit can be found throughout the Caribbean and Central America. Be sure your starfruits are very ripe, to the point where you might have to trim back some of the softer brown spots.
My Private Note
thin sl ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the three tablespoons butter in a round 9 inch cake pan and warm it to melt the butter.
- 2Cover the butter with the brown sugar, then place the star shaped carambola slices and the cherries.
- 3In a mixing bowl, cream the 1/3 cup butter with the sugar and lemon zest.
- 4Add, one by one, the eggs and continue beating for four minutes.
- 5In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 6Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl, alternating with the milk.
- 7Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- 8Remove from oven and let cool for 3 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Starfruit (Carambola) Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.6
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 123.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 2.1 g