Recipe by Jostlori
Living in the tropics has taught me that even the good ole' faithful recipes get tweaked now and then! Like the traditional Pineapple Upside Down Cake, this one is yummy in a totally different way! Starfruit can be found throughout the Caribbean and Central America. Be sure your starfruits are very ripe, to the point where you might have to trim back some of the softer brown spots.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 sliced carambolas, sliced crossways into 1/4-inch stars (starfruit)
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the three tablespoons butter in a round 9 inch cake pan and warm it to melt the butter.
- Cover the butter with the brown sugar, then place the star shaped carambola slices and the cherries.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the 1/3 cup butter with the sugar and lemon zest.
- Add, one by one, the eggs and continue beating for four minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl, alternating with the milk.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 3 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Cool completely before serving.