Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This healthful nostalgia recipe comes from the, now demolished, Stardust Hotel Resort and Casino, in Las Vegas, NV. This popular recipe was published in the LA Times reader request column, and later in 2001 published in a hardcover book titled: "Dear SOS: Favorite Restaurant Recipes from the Los Angeles Times." .
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups natural bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Beat brown sugar, honey, oil, eggs and buttermilk in a large bowl until smooth.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt and bran cereal.
- Add dry ingredient mix to wet ingredients.
- Fold in raisins and pineapple (drained).
- Divide batter evenly among the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes before removing muffins from the pan.
Sorry for a not so great review but I would probably not make these muffins again. If I did some of the changes I would make would be way less sugar, may be half a cup less and I would soak the bran in the buttermilk to soften it a little. All you tasted was sweet and woody, worm shaped chunks of bran. Ihate to give bad reviews but this one deserved it.