Very close to the real thing. This recipe is amazing. I became obsessed with the real thing but at $5 a pop I deicided that I needed to find a cheaper alternative. So I went on the search for the recipe and the right machine and I experimented and Ta Da, we have a WONDERFUL knockoff.
- 3 tablespoons powdered baking cocoa (I used Ghirardelli-sweet ground chocolate and cocoa powder)
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peppermint syrup (do not use extract- you can buy a very large bottle of syrup at Starbucks for $7) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons creme de menthe
- 4 ounces espresso (see note below on how to make if you are unfamiliar)
- 12 ounces steamed milk (I use Fat Free)
- whipped cream
- red sugar crystals
- Combine 3 Tbsp Baking Cocoa with 3 Tbsp warm water to make into a rich syrup. Pour into a 16 ounce mug.
- Add espresso
- Add Peppermint syrup.
- Steam milk and add to remainder of cup.
- Garnish with whipped cream and sugar crystals.
- Note: To make espresso (for 2 servings of this recipe) for those who do not know how, follow the directions below. Don't let the thought scare you it is almost as easy as making regular american coffee- it just takes a little practice:
- Buy a $30 machine (Mr. Coffee ECM250 is good).
- Put water into carafe up to band and put into machine.
- Put coffee (any kind of finely ground) into filter head and pack down well.
- Turn on and brew until carafe fills to 4 cup line that way there is still enough water in machine to steam milk.
- Switch to steam mode and steam milk (if you do not have a frothing pitcher a 12 oz ceramic mug will work filled half way with milk but takes 2 fill ups to make one serving of this recipe).
- Follow recipe and enjoy!