Recipe by Mama2Three
Todd Wilbur of the famous Top Secret Recipe clones posts a demo of this recipe on his site www.topsecretrecipes.com. Starbucks only brings these out during a limited part of the year. These used to be the only pastry I would buy from them. They are a soft triangle of white chocolate and cranberry cake covered with creamy lemon frosting and dried cranberries. Make sure you don't substitute the crystalized ginger for powdered ginger!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries, diced
- 4 ounces white chocolate, cut into chunks (I like Ghirardelli)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, diced
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make cake by beating butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, ginger, and salt and beat well. Gradually mix in flour until smooth. Mix 3/4 cup diced dried cranberries and white chocolate into the batter by hand. Pour batter into a well-greased 9x13-inch baking pan and spread evenly across the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake is light brown on top. Allow cake to cool.
- Make frosting by combining softened cream cheese, 3 cups powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. When the cake has cooled, spread frosting over the top of cake.
- Sprinkle1/4 cup of diced cranberries over the frosting on the cake.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and shortening. Drizzle icing over cranberries in a sweeping motion or use a pastry bag with a fine tip. Or you could even put the icing in a zip topped bag trim a corner off the bottom and use it as you would the pastry bag.
- Cover the cake and let it chill for at least two hours, then slice the cake lengthwise (the long way) through the middle. Slice the cake across the width three times making a total of eight rectangular slices. Slice each of those rectangles diagonally creating 16 triangular slices.