Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes me so sad that you can't get these anymore so I made my own! So not healthy but they're so good. Shortbread, apple pie filling, crumble topping, and caramel, how can you go wrong!?
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 granny smith apples (large, cored, peeled, and cut in 1 cm cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (I usually substitute 1 Tbsp flour for corn starch)
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar (scant 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (scant 1/2 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup flour (scant 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (scant 1/2 cup)
- 3 -4 tablespoons caramel topping
- Core and peel apples, cut into 1 cm cubes.
- For the filling, combine apples in a small pot with water, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.
- Set on medium-low heat to soften while you prepare the crust and topping.
- For the shortbread crust, mix the icing sugar into the butter.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth and whipped-looking.
- Spread crust mixture evenly into the bottom on a 9"x9" pan.
- Once the apples are softened but not mushy, spread on top of the crust.
- Mix the icing sugar, sugar, and flour of the topping ingredients; stir in the butter until it is crumbly like moist bread crumbs.
- Take handfuls of the topping and sprinkle over the apples, breaking up big clumps until you can't see apples anymore. You may not use all of the topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top; cool completely.
- Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping in a nice diagonal grid.
- Cut into 9 pieces.
- If you want to be really decadent, you could serve it with ice cream.