Recipe by YummySmellsca
I adapted this recipe from Tina's Cookings to make it vegan, and while I found it needed way more water than the original called for, the dough was a great base for bittersweet chocolate stars! Of course, if you can't find star-shaped dark chocolate (I think mine came from Sweden), chocolate discs or chunks (even broken up candy bars) work just as well.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup low fat vanilla soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red gel food coloring (or 1 tbsp liquid)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup kamut or 1 cup oat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate, cut into 20 chunks (you can also use squares of bittersweet chocolate bar or large chocolate chunks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375?F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, soy milk, vinegar, vanilla, oil and food colouring until well combined.
- Mix in the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder.
- Using a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop, take out portions of the batter, roll into balls and place on the sheets.
- Press a chocolate square or star into the centre of each.
- Bake 8-9 minutes. Cool completely on the sheets.