Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These go down very well during Christmas specially with the younger lot. You could make holes and use it as an edible X'mas tree decoration..
- 225 g plain flour, sifted
- 110 g sugar
- 110 g butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For Icing Sugar Glaze
- 60 g icing sugar
- 14.79 ml single cream
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- You will need a 10 cm / 4 inch star-shaped biscuit cutter.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour alongwith the sugar in a bowl and add in the butter and work with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the beaten egg and a teaspoon of cold water and mix again until the mixture forms a ball leaving the sides of the bowl clean.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/3 cm thickness.
- Cut out the biscuits using a 10 cm star-shaped cutter.
- If you would like to use it as a decoration, using a skewer, make a hole in each one to thread a wire after baking.
- Transfer the biscuits onto the baking tray and bake them in the middle shelf for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and cool them on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to let it cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing sugar glaze by mixing the icing sugar with the cream till smooth.
- When the biscuits are cold enough to handle, brush the top of the biscuits with the glaze to give it a thin coat and leave it on the rack to dry completely.
- If using as a decoration, once completely cool and dried, thread a thin wire through the holes and hang them on the tree. If not, then store in an airtight container.
What a nice cookie! I decorated mine with pearl sugar and they looked SO pretty and tasted even better.
These are a great sugar cookie (biscuit ;) ) I never need to wait til the holidays to bake a good sugar cookie LOL They mix up very quickly , and the dough is a dream to work with!! The glaze is a perfect touch on top of a not too sweet cookie. I used some colored sugar to sprinkle mine with just to add some color. Thanks for posting!!!