These go down very well during Christmas specially with the younger lot. You could make holes and use it as an edible X'mas tree decoration..
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- You will need a 10 cm / 4 inch star-shaped biscuit cutter.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour alongwith the sugar in a bowl and add in the butter and work with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the beaten egg and a teaspoon of cold water and mix again until the mixture forms a ball leaving the sides of the bowl clean.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/3 cm thickness.
- Cut out the biscuits using a 10 cm star-shaped cutter.
- If you would like to use it as a decoration, using a skewer, make a hole in each one to thread a wire after baking.
- Transfer the biscuits onto the baking tray and bake them in the middle shelf for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and cool them on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to let it cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing sugar glaze by mixing the icing sugar with the cream till smooth.
- When the biscuits are cold enough to handle, brush the top of the biscuits with the glaze to give it a thin coat and leave it on the rack to dry completely.
- If using as a decoration, once completely cool and dried, thread a thin wire through the holes and hang them on the tree. If not, then store in an airtight container.