Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Irene Kuo, using sprouted favas
- 2 cups fava beans, sprouted
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirl and heat for 30 seconds.
- Toss in beans. Stir briskly for 10 seconds. Add soy, 1 tbsp sugar, anise and water and stir to mingle. When reaches boil adjust temp to med low and maintain the simmer. Cover and simmer 40 minutes until almost all the liquid is gone.
- Uncover, turn heat high, add the sugar and stir rapidly in turning and folding motions until sugar darkens and coats the beans. Add the sesame oil. Give the beans a few turns and pour into serving dish.
- The hulls should be soft so eat them if you wish.