Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy version of the Thanksgiving classic. The addition of cinnamon and star anise gives this relish a bit of excitement. This can be made up to a week ahead. From Whole Foods Market Holiday Recipes, 04. If not using the ruby port, increase water to 1 cup.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, water, port star anixe and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add the cranberries and simmer, uncovered about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally until most of the cranberries have burst.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly and stir in the lemon zest and juice and a pinch of salt.
- Serve chilled or room temperature.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and star anise just before serving.
This was a hit with xmas dinner, though I altered things a little to make a larger amount. I used 3/4 cup sugar, 1 and a 1/3 cups of ruby port (but no water), 4 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, juice of a lemon and it's zest, 2 cloves, 5 cups cranberrys and 3 cox apples peeled/cored and roughly chopped up to bulk it up. Also advise putting the spices in a large tea ball to make it practical to remove them later. The result was gorgeous! thanks!
I couldn't find the star anise and so didn't use it. I also substituted the port for marsala. It turned out nice and thick and was a hit even with my husband's grandmother who made everything herself when she could.