- 2 tablespoons water, plus
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 whole star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, cut cross wise in length
- 4 medium firm but ripe Anjou pears, peeled, quartered, cored
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar 2 tablespoons water, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean in a heavy large saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil with out stirring until syrup turns a deep amber color, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 9 minutes.
- Remove from heat add 1 1/4 cups of water (the mixture will bubble vigorously).
- Bring to a simmer, stirring until pieces of caramel dissolve.
- Add pears, cover and simmer until tender, turning pears once about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to bowl.
- Boil liquid in sauce pan until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over pears toss gently to coat.
- Chill until cold.
- Serve cold.