1/1 Photo of Star Anise Poached Pears
Here is a delicious example of eastern spices used to complement a western dish. Recipe edited to add sugar (which was left out).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine sugar 2 tablespoons water, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean in a heavy large saucepan.
- 2Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 3Increase heat and boil with out stirring until syrup turns a deep amber color, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 9 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat add 1 1/4 cups of water (the mixture will bubble vigorously).
- 5Bring to a simmer, stirring until pieces of caramel dissolve.
- 6Add pears, cover and simmer until tender, turning pears once about 5 minutes.
- 7Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to bowl.
- 8Boil liquid in sauce pan until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- 9Pour syrup over pears toss gently to coat.
- 10Chill until cold.
- 11Serve cold.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Star Anise Poached Pears
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 41.2 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: