Recipe by chia
this smells wonderful and can be made ahead, refrigerated for a week
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
This was quite the twist on cranberry sauce. I normally don't care for anise, but DH loves it so I was really making this for him...that and I had to try the star anise I'd recently purchased for the very first time... I used fresh orange zest and followed the directions precisely with excellent results. Although it was more than two of us could eat at one meal, I served it over the course of several days and not a bit went to waste! I will certainly be making this for our family's Thanksgiving get-together this coming fall! I can't wait to see the reactions as it is very different from the usual cranberry sauces we are all accustomed to eating. Thank you for sharing a great recipe chia!
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- in a saucepan bring port, water, sugar, salt, and star anise to a boil, immediately remove from heat, cover, and let it stand for 20 minutes to infuse the flavors.
- return the liquid to a boil, add cranberries, return to boil, lower heat to simmer.
- cook for 8-10 minutes until cranberries pop and sauce thickens.
- remove star anise and stir in orange zest.