Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
this smells wonderful and can be made ahead, refrigerated for a week
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- in a saucepan bring port, water, sugar, salt, and star anise to a boil, immediately remove from heat, cover, and let it stand for 20 minutes to infuse the flavors.
- return the liquid to a boil, add cranberries, return to boil, lower heat to simmer.
- cook for 8-10 minutes until cranberries pop and sauce thickens.
- remove star anise and stir in orange zest.
This was quite the twist on cranberry sauce. I normally don't care for anise, but DH loves it so I was really making this for him...that and I had to try the star anise I'd recently purchased for the very first time... I used fresh orange zest and followed the directions precisely with excellent results. Although it was more than two of us could eat at one meal, I served it over the course of several days and not a bit went to waste! I will certainly be making this for our family's Thanksgiving get-together this coming fall! I can't wait to see the reactions as it is very different from the usual cranberry sauces we are all accustomed to eating. Thank you for sharing a great recipe chia!
Delicious! The star anise adds a lovely subtle taste and beautiful aroma.
I loved this recipe, and made it for thanksgiving and Christmas. Very easy and particularly tasty. Everyone loved it, and it is great leftover for sandwiches or on english muffins. Will definitely make again!