Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the book, Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys and Chowchows. This is a great way to use slightly overripe peaches. This is good with barbequed or fried chicken.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 ripe peaches, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1⁄2 a lemon
- In saucepan, heat the oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Saute the onion slices in the vegetable oil over medium heat until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peaches and cook for an additional 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the lemon juice and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- If necessary, add a small amount of water to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, and puree in a blender or food processor.
- This catsup will keep, covered and refrigerated for several weeks.