Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
A fancier roast for a fancier occasion. This always draws raves.
- 2 slices bacon, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 5 ounces mushrooms, minced
- 5 ounces prepared peppercorn pate
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 -7 lbs standing rib roast
- Place bacon in a frying pan.
- Heat gently until beginning to soften.
- Add onion and mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in pate, breadcrumbs, parsley, herbs and egg.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut a pocket in the meat along the rib bones and outer layer of fat.
- Fill this pocket with the pate mixture and secure with a skewer if necessary.
- Place meat in a baking dish, fat side up (the bones make a natural rack).
- Roast meat for 3 minutes at this high temperature then reduce temperature to 350F.
- Continue to roast for a further 1 ½ hour or until done to taste.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Note: Calculate cooking time for your roast at 20 minutes (at 350F) per pound.
- This will achieve a roast that is well done outside and rare inside.