Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
classic herb-coated rib roast with a sweet caramelized onion relish on the side
- 7 -8 lbs standing rib roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced red onions
- 3⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Put roast in roasting pan with the fat side up.
- Mix the olive oil and garlic and rub over roast.
- Sprinkle evenly with oregano, pepper and salt.
- Put roast in the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F.
- For medium rare, cook 2 hours 15 minutes.
- Baste roast during the last hour of cooking.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Onion Relish: Melt the butter in a pot, add the onions and shallots.
- Cook until golden and tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Stire in juice, sherry, brown sugar and zest.
- Simmer about 10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in rosemary.
- Serve alongside roast.