Recipe by Olha
Traditional English Fare. Delicious!
Top Review by fionas2fabulous
i tried this dish, it was a lot of work, but the final result was great! The blend of garlic, onion, and the dry spices are fantastic! They form a crispy coat during the cooking process. The cream sauce is even better the second day. I am so thrilled with the recipe, I am making it again tonight!
- 10 lbs standing beef rib roast
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried thyme
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup beef drippings or 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup beef drippings or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (half milk, half cream)
- 1⁄2 cup prepared white horseradish
- salt and pepper
- red onion, to make fresh edible flowers (to garnish, see below)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle roast with pepper, herbs, onions and garlic. Place fat side up on a rack set into a roasting pan. Roast in a preheated 350°F oven for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 150°F for medium, rare. Pour off fatty part of the drippings from roasting pan and use for pudding and sauce. Keep roast warm.
- For the pudding; turn oven to 425°F In a bowl, mix flour and salt. Add eggs and milk, beat with electric mixer until well blended. Pour 1/2 cup beef drippings or melted butter into a 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan; tilt pan to cover bottom evenly. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 325°F for 30 minutes. Bake until puffed and brown. Cut into squares to serve. For individual servings, divide batter between 8 greased custard cups or popover pan. Bake the same length of time.
- While pudding is baking, prepare sauce. In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, heat drippings and stir in flour. Stir over low heat for 10 minutes. Gradually add beef broth and half and half. Stir over medium heat until sauce bubbles and thickens. Stir in horseradish and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place roast on platter and garnish with sautéed onions and cherry tomatoes. Can also be garnished with long needled pin boughs and red onion flowers. To prepare onion flowers, peel small red onions. Starting at the pointed end, cut onions into quarters, cutting to within 1/2 inch of the bottom. Cut each quarter into 1/8 inch wide strips to within 1/2 inch of the bottom. Place in cold water and onions will open to resemble chrysanthemums. Serve pudding separately and pass sauce. Makes 8 servings.
- The Joy Of Christmas.