5 hrs 30 mins
A savory rib roast with Burgundy gravy based on a recipe from McCall’s Cooking School, page #47 under Meat. The intro says, “This rib roast is truly American fare! Three ribs thick, it is the richest, most juicy and tender of the beef cuts. We think it is best when roasted to medium-rare and served with rich brown Burgundy Gravy. If desired, serve Yorkshire Pudding on the side…. Have lots of Burgundy wine on hand too!” I serve this with Yorkshire Pudding; you will find tons of recipes for it here on food.com. Be sure to save beef drippings for the Burgundy Gravy and the Yorkshire Pudding. My husband also serves this with creamed horseradish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed savory
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 standing rib roast, bone-in, 8-9 pounds (3 ribs)
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (liquid browning and seasoning sauce)
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 1RIB ROAST:.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 3Mix together salt, herbs, and pepper. Rub herb mixture into all sides of beef. In shallow roasting pan, stand roast, fat side up. Insert meat thermometer through outside fat into the thickest part of muscle; do not allow the point to rest in fat or bone.
- 4In small bowl, mix gravy seasoning with ½ cup Burgundy. Spoon some over beef; place uncovered in oven. Roast the beef, basting frequently with remaining Burgundy mixture, for 3 ½ hours for rare (140°F); 4 ½ hours for medium (160°F); 5 hours for well-done (170°F).
- 5When roast is cooked according to your preference, using two large forks, remove to a platter, cover with foil, and keep warm. Pour off drippings and reserve; let roast stand in warm place while you make gravy and Yorkshire Pudding, if serving alongside. Roast will be easy to carve after standing 20 to 30 minutes.
- 6BURGUNDY GRAVY:.
- 7Return 6 tablespoons reserved drippings to roasting pan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper to make a smooth mixture. Gradually add beef broth and Burgundy wine, stirring until mixture is smooth and free from lumps.
- 8All browned bits from roast should be loosened and dissolved in broth mixture. Bring gravy to a boil, stirring constantly,. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes 3 cups of gravy.
- 9TO SERVE:.
- 10Use a large, sharp carving knife to carve across roast toward rib bone. Cut along rib to remove slices. Slide a knife under meat slice to place on serving plate. Serve with Burgundy Gravy and Yorkshire Pudding.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Standing Rib Roast With Burgundy Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.6
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 776.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
standing rib roast