Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have been making this for years as a standby meal. (hence the name) When DH and I started out with college loans and new house bills we were tight on budget so I had to come up with nourishing and tasty meals. The extra zaps are what you add to it. I make it different almost everytime. The basic recipe is inexpensive, goes a long way and freezes great. This is an extremely versatile recipe and can be made to your taste. I do use garlic and herbs in my sauce so I do not need to add more in. You may if store bought sauce. Feel free to have some fun.
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta or 16 ounces any ribbed pasta
- 16 ounces spaghetti sauce (I use homemade garden tomato sauce, chunky sauces work great)
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked (optional)
- 8 ounces carrots, shredded (optional)
- 4 ounces pepperoni, sliced (optional)
- cook pasta til al dente.
- put into 9x13 casserole dish.
- pour sauce over top, add diced onions and blend.
- ****at this point you can add in any of the above or what ever you choose.
- I have used chopped cooked chicken, sausage, broccoli, peas, green beans, spinach,etc. the list goes on.
- This adds filler and gets those veggies in or leftover meat in that you can use up.
- Alone it is very good as well.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, put shredded mozzarella) (or cheese of choice) return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Cooking time includes boiling pasta.
This is a tasty meal! I used all of the optional ingredients plus added some fresh parmesan cheese! Very good. Made for ZWT7 for the Vivacious Violets.
I loved this dish Connie. It was incredible, we couldn't wait to have it again the next day. I didn't add much to it, just used what I had on hand, ground venison & lean ground beef, sliced pepperoni, sweet onions, pasta, cheese and a spicy & hot red pepper tomatoe sauce. Delish, will definitely make again. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe. Made for Aussie Swap 01/10 :)
This was a great put-together meal for me to make ahead on the days I work long hours. My x-tra zaps as you put it were: hamburg, pepperoni slices, ham, grated parmesan cheese, shredded pepperjack cheese, and shredded cheddar. I felt I could add whatever, kind of like a pizza. Served with garlic bread. Thanks Connie~5 stars!!