Recipe by breezermom
This is a classic dish from Holland. DD has been working in Europe and she had this and thought I'd like it.
Top Review by Random Rachel
I have never tried kale before, and this was a good way yo try it :-) I couldn't find knackwurst so I used bratwurst instead. I really liked how the sweetness of the carrots played off of the mashed potatoes. For ZWT6 N.
- 226.79 g kale
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 59.14 ml butter
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 59.14-118.29 ml light cream or 59.14-118.29 ml milk
- 453.59 g knackwurst of frankfurter (short, fat sausages)
- 29.58 ml butter
- shredded carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the roots off the fresh cale and remove any damaged portions. Cut the stems and leaves into small pieces. In a covered saucepan cook the kale in a large amount of boiling salted water for an hour. Drain well; squeeze out excess liquid.
- While the kale is cooking, peel and quarter the potatoes and chop the onion. In a covered saucepan, cook the potatoes and onion in boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well.
- Just before the kale and potatoes/onion are done, melt 2 tbsp butter in a skillet and cook the knackwurst for 5 to 10 minutes or till heated through.
- In a mixing bowl beat the hot kale, hot potatoes, and onion on low speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the 1/4 cup butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add as much light cream or milk as necessary to make fluffy (but not runny).
- Place the vegetable mix on a serving dish and arrange the knackwurst around it. Garnish with shredded carrots.