Recipe by SaraStar
A friend of mine from the Netherlands showed me this very simple recipe for a dish that is popular in her country. The key component, as I understand it, is the potatoes; everything else, you can mix and match with whatever you've got around and whatever sounds good to you. Hubby and I are currently doing the potatoes, bacon and kale with a can of low-sodium beans and about a cup of shredded cheese stirred in after everything's mashed up. For the purposes of posting the recipe, though, I present it to you more or less as it was presented to me originally. This dish is also delicious reheated, so it's good to make for dinner and then have leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 bunch kale, chopped fine
- 4 -5 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 lb Polish sausage, sliced
- vinegar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil kale for 10 minutes in a large pot of water.
- Add potatoes, bacon, and sausage to water and continue to boil until potatoes are done, about 10-12 minutes.
- Drain everything. Remove the meats and set aside.
- Put the potatoes and kale in a large bowl and mash with enough milk to bring it all together.
- Put meats back in and stir everything together.
- Serve with vinegar for extra taste.