Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
Make and share this Stampot Van Boerenkool Met Worst (Kale With Potatoes and Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- Drop kale into enough boiling, lightly salted water to cover completely.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for 30 minutes longer, or until kale is tender; potatoes should still be intact.
- Remove potatoes with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain kale in a colander, pressing firmly to remove excess liquid.
- Chop coarsely.
- Heat milk and lard in a heavy 2- to 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until lard is melted and small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.
- Stir in kale, potatoes, and salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover tightly, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prick sausage in several places.
- Lay flat in a skillet and add enough cold water to cover completely.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Drain sausage on paper towels.
- Split sausage casing with a sharp knife and remove it.
- Slice sausage into 1/4" thick pieces.
- To serve, mound the kale and potatoes in the middle of a large deep platter and arrange the sausage around the rim.
We enjoyed this with a couple of amendments. There needed to be a fair bit more salt, odd for me because i don't usually add salt to food. (It was pretty bland before i "upped" the salt. i added A. Vogel's Herbamare because i wanted to add flavour while keeping sodium as low as possible.) i also used whey butter instead of lard.<br/>Directions for trimming the kale would have been helpful. i'm accustomed to eating kale, and have even eaten boerenkool, but hadn't prepared it straight from the field before.<br/>The kale didn't need to be cooked quite as long as directed. Next time, i'd cook the potatoes on the bottom and kale on the top, as suggested in another recipe. That said, it was a lovely dish and enjoyable with leftovers -- at least at my place. ;)<br/>i had Hungarian sausage on hand so i used that in place of kielbasa (because a Christmas "snacker" ate it before i could prepare this). The smokiness will be a welcome addition another time but the Hungarian did just fine.
i cooked the sausage with the kale and poatotes im glad you had this recipe ive only cooked kale in soup , i didnt know that it would take so long to cook this is really good 1 added butter not lalaard not opposed to just didnt have any good flavor zaar 6 tour