Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Source: National Post, Oct. 16/99. A chili for garlic lovers. Heat can be adjusted by changing the amount of chili powder and cayenne.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 -3 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch sage
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, drained, plumped, and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained
- sour cream (garnish)
- cheddar cheese, shredded (garnish)
- jalapeno pepper, minced (garnish)
- fresh cilantro, minced (garnish)
- black olives, sliced (garnish)
- basmati rice, steamed (garnish)
- In a large Dutch oven, saute the meat in the olive oil.
- Drain a bit and move meat to sides, leaving space to saute onions and garlic until they soften.
- Add beef stock, wine, vinegar, garlic, onions, spices, canned tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, and tomato paste. Simmer until meat is fully cooked and flavours meld, about 45-90 minutes on lowest heat. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with choice of garnishes.