Recipe by alvinakatz
Great way to use up stale or frozen sponge, pound or butter cake. Make sure to remove any existing icing. If using frozen cake, you don't need to defrost it all the way, before dipping in the chocolate. From alldownunder.com
Top Review by breezermom
Loved this! The staler the better for the cake, as the chocolate absorbs deeper into the cake.....and you just can't have enough chocolate! This is a keeper for me, as I always seem to have leftover sponge or pound cake when DS isn't home. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
- 1 cake (day-old or frozen sponge, butter or pound)
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups dried coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the cake into equal size 2 to 2½" inch cubes
- Spread out the dried coconut on a large plate and set aside.
- Mix the sugar with the cocoa in a pan. Slowly add the water until the mixture is thoroughly mixed.
- Boil gently for about 12 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir for 1 minute and then let cool slightly.
- Using a fork, quickly dip the cake cubes all the way into the chocolate mixture.
- Roll the chocolate covered cubes in the dried coconut until covered as much as desired.
- Place on a wire rack or a wax paper covered plate or flat pan so that the cake cubes do not touch each other. When completely cooled, the coating will be set and the Lamingtons will be ready to eat.