A Southern staple at all of our holidays and get together's. Easy and yummy and so pretty. Serve in a glass bowl to showcase it's beauty! I like to use fruit in natural juices rather than in heavy syrup but choose what you like. Update 7/2011 For a recent family reunion my darling great aunt made this but added a little almond extract! Wow! That little addition took this from a great fruit salad to an amazing fruit salad! Feel free to mix up fruit or add things you like. Please share that in your review so we can try it too! Great for weddings, showers, parties etc..
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained (in natural juices)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (in natural juices)
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes strawberries, frozen sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can peach pie filling
- 3 bananas (a little under ripe holds up best)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, opt I hate them but kids love them
- 1⁄2 chopped pecans, opt (or other nut)
- 1⁄4 cup red maraschino cherry, drained (optional)
- Put all ingredients except bananas in large bowl and stir to mix.
- Cover and chill well. Just before serving slice bananas and fold inches
- Transfer to pretty glass bowl for serving.