Recipe by KosherCook
Cookies with a candy lollipop type center. Note: You can use your own quick bake cookie recipe. Recipe by Linda Shapiro http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/staingla.htm
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour (mixed with 1/2 tsp baking soda)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- lollipops or hard candies, several colors, crushed
- 12 craft sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Foil and line cookie sheets.
- Measure first 6 ingredients into the bowl.
- Mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll the dough between hands making snake shapes about 1/4- inch thick.
- Place rope on prepared cookie sheet and form into a design.
- NOTE: Be sure dough ends are completely pinched together as these will form the outline of the stained glass picture.
- You can also make flattened cookie balls and use a cookie cutter to insert a shape.
- Sprinkle the crushed candies inside the dough outlines, filling the spaces completely and heaping slightly.
- Carefully insert a craft stick into cookie, forming a "lollipop.".
- You can also avoid the stick, but I don't recommend it. Once you get past the cookie, its all sticky candy from there.
- Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, watching carefully. Remove cookie sheets from oven and place on counter to cool.
- When cooled, gently peel off foil from each cookie pop. You will have created a beautiful created a stained glass effect!
- Wrap each cookie pop in plastic wrap.
- For gift giving, tie with a colorful ribbon.
- These cookies can easily be made by children (with careful supervision).