1/1 Photo of Stained Glass Cake
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This beautiful fruit cake looks best cut into thin slices to show off the colours of the fruits and nuts. This is great to serve at Christmas time- or any time with coffee and port after dinner! An Australian cup is 250mls and a tablespoon contains 4 teaspoons. Thanks to the reviewer who pointed out my typo in the intro :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g dessert dates, stoned
- 125 g glace pineapple
- 125 g glace apricot
- 125 g glace cherries
- 125 g glace green cherries
- 125 g whole blanched almonds
- 250 g shelled brazil nuts
- 125 g prunes, stoned and halved
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons rum (40ml)
- 90 g butter
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Chop the pineapple and apricots into fairly large pieces, and leave the remaining fruit and nuts whole.
- 2Mix all these fruits and nuts together, then reserve a half cup of them for the topping.
- 3Beat the eggs until light and fluffy, then add the sugar, vanilla essence, rum and softened butter.
- 4Continue beating until well blended.
- 5Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt and add with the fruit and nuts, mix thoroughly.
- 6Grease a 20cm ring tin and line the base.
- 7Spoon mixture evenly into the tin, arrange the reserved fruit and nuts over the top, pressing down gently.
- 8Bake in a slow oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until cake is firm to touch.
- 9Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.
- 10Store in an airtight container wrapped in foil.
- 11To serve, cut into very thin slices with a very sharp knife-the thin slices show off the beautiful colours of the fruits.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stained Glass Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5694.5
- Calories from Fat 2844
- Total Fat 316.0 g
- Saturated Fat 92.1 g
- Cholesterol 564.3 mg
- Sodium 1433.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 685.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 65.6 g
- Sugars 527.2 g
- Protein 92.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
glace green cherries