Recipe by blucoat
Recipe is for the renowned blintzes at New York's Stage Deli. It was printed in an old Gourmet Magazine (January 1997). Serve with sour cream and sugar as toppings, and with assorted fruit jams. You can also sautee this in a crepe pan or skillet rather than baking.
For the wrappers
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the Filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups farmer cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Make wrapper batter: In a blender blend wrapper batter ingredients and let stand 30 minutes.
- In an 8-inch skillet, preferable non-stick, melt half of butter over moderately high heat. Pour in enough batter to just coat the bottom of skillet, swirling, and cook, undisturbed, until top is set and bottom in golden (do not turn wrapper over). Transfer wrapper to paper towels in one layer, golden side down. Make more wrappers with remaining butter and batter.
- Make filling: In a food processor, blend cheeses, sugar, and cinnamon until smooth. If necessary, add flour to thicken filling.
- Preheat oven to 250°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put 3 tablespoons filling in center of each wrapper and fold opposite sides of wrapper over filling until sides barely touch. Fold in ends to completely enclose filling, forming packets, and arrange, seams sides down, on baking sheet. Make more blintzes with remaining filling and wrappers. Bake blintzes, covered loosely with foil, until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.