Recipe by silky
These are the latkes made by the Stage Deli in New York, and they are delicious. Make sure you have sour cream and applesauce to accompany.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled,cubed (about 2 lbs)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1⁄3 cup matzo meal
- vegetable oil
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Using on/off turns, finely chop potatoes in processor.
- Transfer to strainer set over large bowl and drain well, pressing hard on potatoes.
- Discard potato juices.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs to blend.
- Mix in potatoes and onion.
- Add matzo meal and stir to blend.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200F.
- Pour oil into large skillet to depth of ¼ inch.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Working in batches, drop potato mixture into skillet by ¼ cupfuls.
- Using spatula, flatten into 3-inch-diameter pancakes.
- Cook until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer pancakes to paper towels to drain.
- Keep warm in preheated oven while cooking remaining potato pancakes.
- Serve pancakes warm with sour cream and applesauce.