Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
At the beginning of the 19th century, Mrs Maria Rundell's best-selling book 'A New System of Domestic Cookery' was published. It contained a number of regional recipes including this one from Staffordshire.
- 4 braising steaks (approximately 4-6 oz. each)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 ounce plain flour
- 1 ounce meat drippings or 1 ounce bacon drippings
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 15 fluid ounces hearty beef stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Flatten the steaks with a rolling pin, season with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
- Melt the dripping in a frying pan and fry the onion until golden.
- Add the steaks and brown on both sides.
- Pour the stock into the pan, cover and simmer for 1 to 1½ hours or until the steaks are tender.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Arrange the steaks, overlapping, on a heated serving dish and serve with the pan gravy poured over them, accompanied by creamed potatoes and a green vegetable.