Got this recipe years ago from a former boyfriend. So good (and so rich) I like to make it for my birthday dinner. It makes plenty so invite your friends.
- 2 9-inch deep dish pie crusts
- 453.59 g hot sausage
- 1 sweet white onion, chopped
- 226.79 g mushroom, chopped
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml white wine
- garlic powder
- 453.59 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 453.59 g swiss cheese, grated
- 5 eggs
- 473.19 ml half-and-half
- cinnamon (optional)
- cayenne (optional)
- Prick the crusts liberally with a fork, and bake in a 450°F oven 1 or 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet, remove from skillet, drain, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion in butter.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté.
- Return the sausage to pan, add the wine, garlic powder and oregano and mix together with the onion and mushrooms.
- Mix the cheeses together.
- Spread 1/4 of the cheese in the bottom of each crust.
- Spread 1/2 of the sausage mixture over the cheese in each pie.
- Cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Beat the eggs with the half and half and pour into the pies until each is filled to the rim.
- If desired sprinkle liberally with more oregano and/or cinnamon and/or cayenne.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven to 350° and bake 10-15 minutes more until a knife, inserted into the quiche, comes out clean.