Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a soup that I have concocted under the inspiration of 4 different recipes, and out of the sheer, selfish desire to satisfy my childhood cravings! I took what I liked from each, discarded what I didn't, and added a few what-nots that I craved. My 4 kids have always been leery of vegetable soup, but when they tried this version based on my own particular favorites, it was "4 Thumbs Up!" You can't beat those odds...:)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 cups v 8 vegetable juice
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stew pot. Add the stew meat and thoroughly brown on all sides. Add red wine and deglaze pot, stirring in all the brown bits on the bottom until the wine is reduced by at least 1/2. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and saute for about 5 minutes longer.
- Dump in all the other ingredients and stir well.
- Bring to almost a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer (almost bubbling), covered with the lid slightly ajar, 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired, and discard the bay leaf.
Stacy, You are now one of the brightest stars in the sky --- and your recipes continue to gather lots of stars here on Zaar. When I make veggie soup, I always print off your recipe -- it's amazing. I improvise but its always your basic recipe I start with. Today I added some bok choy, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, and a package of Fordhook lima beans -- in addition to the veggies you list. I doubled all the "liquid" and spice parts of the recipe -- and probably added a bit more water. Now my freezer is plum full of yummy soup. RIP -- and thoughts and prayers to your family. So many of us here are glad that our paths crossed.
This soup was just terrific. I added all fresh veggies that I had in the frig.: onions, shredded carrots, 3 ears of corn, green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, and potatoes. The addition of the wine to the meat along with spices was the secret. Could not believe it. This will be my veggie soup from now on.
Completely satisfied with this soup! Loved the add-ins from fellow reviewers, especially the barley additive. This recipe sure did make alot, I was able to freeze about half of it for another rainy day.