Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really easy recipe that you change up any way you want it. If the pieces were cut small, this would also be great for tailgating or parties. I found that a really sharp knife cuts through the layers better than a pizza cutter. I make mine a little different than the recipe states -- I cooked my chicken using Cooked Chicken for Recipes - Barefoot Contessa Style, then I put the cut-up chicken and the can of tomatoes and chilies in a saucepan and just let it simmer on low heat for a bit. It worked really well. I also used shredded taco cheese instead of the cheddar and American cheese. I place the tortillas side-by-side on a cookie sheet. After baking, I stuck them under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp up the top. I really think these make more than 4 servings -- more like 6 or so.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded white American cheese
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped jalapeno
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Arrange chicken in baking dish and top with tomatoes and chilies.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Chop chicken and return to tomato mixture and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 350º.
- Mix cheeses in bowl.
- Spray 2 pie plates with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer 1 tortilla, 2 tbsps. chicken mixture, 1 tablespoons jalapenos, 1 tablespoons green onions, 1 tablespoons olives, and 1/3 cup cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers to make 4 layers in each plate.
- Top with a tortilla and brush top with butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream, salsa, or guacamole.