Recipe by Chef Meela
These are easy and fabulous!! They also work with ground beef or steak. Also, there is LOTS of room in this recipe for artistic license-- you can add olives, bell peppers, etc. Just add some salad greens on the side and dinner is served.
- 9 wrap size flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies (drained)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar or co-jack are very good)
- 1 (17 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- sour cream (to garnish)
- pico de gallo (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and brown in a skillet with olive oil, onion, and garlic til done. Add green chiles and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat beans in the microwave or on the stove til they are softened.
- Lay 3 of the flour tortillas in the bottom of 9x13 pan so to cover. Pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Spread 1/2 of the refried beans on the tortillas. Layer 1/2 of chicken/onion/chile mixture over beans. Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheese over the chicken mixture. Cover with 3 more flour tortillas and repeat all layers.
- Cover with the last 3 flour tortillas and trim them to fit the pan.
- Pour the last bit of enchilada sauce over the top layer of tortillas and spread it around. You can sprinkle more cheese on top if you like.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. When it's done, let it sit on the stove for about 10-15 minutes to firm up, cut it and serve with sour cream and pico de gallo if desired.