Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I used to frequent a cross stitch message board, and Stacie shared her banana bread recipe. I have made this numerous times - always a winner, and always eaten quickly!
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (I sometimes use chocolate chips) (optional)
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and vanilla; blend well.
- Add mashed bananas.
- Sift flour with dry ingredients.
- Add flour to wet ingredients, alternating with sour cream.
- Add nuts.
- Place in 2 pans; pans should be"greased" and dusted with flour.
- Bake at 375F fir 1 hour.
- Remove from pans; let cool.
- Store in tin foil; they are very moist!
- Can easily be halved (I have done this, and it still tastes great) but be warned that you NEED two loaves!
This is a pretty good basic banana bread. The cooking time was too long for me though and edges were burnt. I recommend you check it at 50 minutes. Also, no pan size was specified. I first put the batter in my 9x5 pans since that is what I usually use but I could tell they were too big so I transfered it to my 8x4 pans and that was better. I thought the flavor was a little bland, maybe because of the shortening being used vs. butter.
This is a tasty banana bread recipe. I've made it using low-fat plain yogurt instead of sour cream since we like that more:) It went well!